Saturday, May 3, 2014

Authority to Trample Snakes!

I had a dream that a snake bit me-it intentionally jumped up, as though it had legs - and bit my calf. I was on the ground level of a building, doing a new work for the Lord, and the snake was lying in a trash heap I was sweeping. I thought it was dead when I first saw it and I paused for a moment to decide how to handle it….then it suddenly reached up - fangs out - and lunged at my leg. I had no fear of the snake, which fell to the ground and died, but I immediately noticed a small patch of swelling at the site of the bite. As I went on with my work in the Lord the swelling disappeared.

This dream reminded me that we are exposed when we step out in the Lord, and the enemy is lurking and waiting to attack. He would like to attach himself to us and deter us, especially when we’re ready to obediently extend love to others through the work God’s given us.

Every person in the Bible who sought to serve God wholeheartedly suffered attacks. In fact, Paul was bitten by a snake when he was shipwrecked on Island of Malta, but he shook off the snake and continued in his service to the Lord (Acts 28). Paul was not walking in disobedience or running from the Lord’s work; he was serving diligently when he was bitten. In the long run, surviving the snake bite with no ill effects turned out to be a blessing: the island’s inhabitants honored Paul and he was able to extend God’s healing to those who were sick.

Attacks will come – but our focus must be on God, not the works of the enemy. If we remain fully clothed in His armor (Eph 6) and constant in prayer He will bring strength and wisdom to press through every battle!

“Take hold of this: I have given you authority and power to trample upon snakes and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] above and beyond the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you” Luke 10:19 (paraphrased).


No comments:

Post a Comment